Love baking cupcakes but poor filling skills ruin the entire experience?
Well, consider the problem solved as you have come to the right place to gain some filling tricks up your sleeve.
Cupcakes are easy to bake but it takes more than a little stirring to add the filling. Especially naive new bakers get overwhelmed with adding the filling to perfection.
So, we have assembled the following ways to add filling to the cupcake.
Bismarck piping nozzle
Bismarck piping nozzle is used to fill yummy pastries and doughnuts with cream. But you can use it to fill cupcakes too.
How can you do that? Well to unravel that read below.
First, you need to fix a piping bag with a Bismarck piping tip. Next, fill up the bag with the filling you wish to devour.
Then insert it into the top center of the cupcake and gently pipe in the filling.
Make sure you apply moderate pressure to pipe in the filling. If you pipe in too hard there is a chance filling will burst out from a nozzle. And if you go too soft on it then you will barely be left with any filling.
- It has a small opening which makes it a tidy way to add filling
- It is a quick and easy way to add filling
- It may not fully fill the cupcake
- It is not suitable for heavy-handed stuff
- As you can not see inside you can not know how much filling has been added
Use Paring Knife
Another way to add filling is to use a paring knife.
Let the cupcake cool down or you can add filling to freshly baked but it will melt the filling. So, here is how you can use a paring knife.
Insert the paring knife into the top center of the cupcake. Make sure you insert the knife at an angle of 45-degree.
Remember not to insert the knife too deep into the cupcake or else frosting will leak out from the bottom.
What? Don’t own a paring knife?
Well, a teaspoon will work just fine. Once you insert the tip of the knife, rotate the cupcake in a circle and make a hole about 1 inch.
Pull out the cone-shaped extract and cut off its tip so that you can use the flat part to put it back once you fill the cupcake. Just make sure you fill the cupcake to halfway otherwise it will leak out when you put back the extracted part. You can use a piping bag to add the filling. Once it is done put the extracted piece on it gently and get ready for the frosting.
- It is suitable for candy-filled cupcakes
- It is easy and quick
- You can see the quantity of filling being added
- It can be untidy if you do not carefully cut out the center piece
- Frosting may leak out from the bottom if you dip the knife too deep
Filling Cupcake with an Apple Corer
Apple corer for adding filling to a cupcake? Seems kind of strange but nonetheless wise.
Let’s see how it works!
Put the apple corner to the top center of the cupcake. If you don’t have apple corer you can use a small melon scoop instead.
Do not push it too deep or the frosting will leak out from the bottom!
Next, you need to rotate the corner so that its edges cut the cupcake and create a hole. Pull out the corner and enjoy the small piece of the cupcake in it till you get the actual treat ready.
You can fill the cupcake with any filling that you love. Be it either custard, cream or jam. You can use either a teaspoon or piping bag to add the filling.
Well, at this point you can gear up with the frosting part.
- It is easy and quick
- It makes the perfect circle for the filling
- It leaves a hole at the top of the cupcake
- You can not use chocolate ganache and glace icing made from powder sugar and water because it will mix with the filling
Use Piping Bag
Using piping bag is the most common way to add filling to a cupcake.
First, you need to clip off the bottom of the piping bag then insert a decorating tip into the bag. You can choose the size of the tip depending on the type and quantity of the filling you desire to add.
Next, add about 1 or 2 tablespoons of the desired filling. Insert the tip for about 1 inch into the cupcake and easily add the filling.
Remember do not squeeze piping bag too hard or too much filling may be added causing it to burst out from the bottom of the cupcake.
- It is suitable for smooth fillings like custard, whipped cream, and pudding
- You don’t have to cut a hole in the cupcake
- It is an easy and quick method
- You can not know how much filling has been added as the inside is hidden
Use Cupcake Corer
Considering the displeasure of novice bakers, many companies over the past has introduced cupcake corner. It helps the new bakers to easily add fillings to the cupcakes.
Here is how you can make most of it.
First, place the cupcake corer at the top center of the cupcake. Gently apply a little pressure and rotate the corer so that you create a hole without squishing the cupcake.
Take out the corer and you can use a teaspoon or a piping bag for filling the hole.
- It is suitable for people not so great with piping
- By this method, you can add more filling as compared to Bismarck tip
- It is a great option for someone clumsy
- You need to carry out extra steps that involve core and filling
- Corers are available in different sizes which means you can control how much filling to add
- The large opening may be a disadvantage as the filling might leak out while frosting
Fill Cupcake before Baking
Another, easy to have yummy flavor enriched cupcakes is to add filling before baking them.
Here let’s begin from the scratch!
The first thing you need to do is preheat your oven then place cupcake liners into your cupcake pan.
Next, make your cupcake batter. You can either make it on your own or you can use the boxed mix.
Then use a tablespoon or an ice-cream scoop to fill cupcake liners. Make sure you fill the liners to one-third. Put aside the batter for later.
Here comes the yummy part. Add 1 teaspoon of the filling you desire to devour. If you are making mini cupcakes, you should add a half teaspoon of the filling. The most suitable filling for this method is jam or jelly.
After adding filling pour the remaining batter to three-quarters of the way full.
Do not fill the liners with barter as the cupcake will overflow once it is baked.
Put the tray in the oven and let it bake.
Follow your recipe to time the baking of your cupcakes.
Enjoy delicious cupcake with the filling of your choice.
- It is suitable for chocolate and jam fillings
- It is an easy and quick method
- You are not required to cut holes in the cupcake
- This method is not appropriate for frosting, cream or pudding fillings.
So, these are some ways to make filling added cupcake of your choice. Each method is easy it just requires the little bit of your concentration.
But if you are short on time you may add the filling before baking the cupcakes. Because it will save you the hassle of cutting the hole in the cupcake and filling it up.
Also, it is less messy. But if you have enough time go for cupcake corer as it is most suitable.
Image credits via Flickr creative commons: Clever Cupcakes
- Best BBQ Appetizers
- Best Ant Traps for the Kitchen
- 5 Best Wood for a Butcher Block Cutting Boards
- The Best Icing Scraper