Steak is something that we do not get to eat every day though (sadly). It is a dish that deserves all the respect it can get. A dish that is liked all over the globe, it is a meat that can be prepared in many ways.
Making the perfect steak depends on the likings and preferences of the person who would eat it. One thing is for sure though, whether it’s barbequed, fried or grilled, it’s going to be delicious.
Many people say that a great steak needs no more flavors. All it needs is a kiss of flame and a pinch of salt. The truth is that any steak, whether a great cut or an inexpensive chunk of beef, the right seasoning is the key to getting something spectacular.
These rubs and spice blends are specifically formulated to work perfectly on beef, enhance but not overpowering flavors, and take the kind of intense heat that a steak needs. So, before you grill your steak, pick one of these great spice rubs and season generously.
This is what a nicely seasoned steak would look like.
|Product||Product dimensions||Shipping weight|
|High Octane Rub & Seasoning by Wayward Gourmet||3 x 3 x 3 inches||6.4 ounces|
|McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning||9 x 4 x 3 inches ;||2 pounds|
|TexJoy Steak Seasoning||2.5 pounds|
|Stubb's Steak Spice Rub||6.5 x 4.5 x 4.2 inches||4.3 pounds|
|Maple Chipotle Mashup Rub & Seasoning by Wayward Gourmet||3 x 3 x 3 inches||8.2 ounces|
1. High Octane Rub & Seasoning by Wayward Gourmet – Coffee Rub for Steak, Roasts, and Grilling.
- If you like your meat with thick crusts you High Octane Rub and seasoning are the right product for you. It makes a thick crust on your steak.
- About the product-
- It has all the natural spices and there are no added preservatives.
- This product can also be used for roast, lamb, and pork.
2. McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning.
- Garlic, salt, and extracts of paprika are blended together in it
- It adds rich flavors to your steak. It is made up of natural spices and natural herbs.
- No artificial flavors added. No colors added.
3. TexJoy Steak Seasoning.
TexJoy steak seasoning is used for steaks and hamburgers. It adds so much taste to your steak and chicken that you will keep coming back to it.
TexJoy can be added to your meal once it is ready and fully cooked. You can also try this product on fajitas, chicken, pasta, fries, vegetables, and seafood too!
4. Stubb’s Steak Spice Rub
- It is a nice blend of garlic, sea salt, and chili.
- All ingredients are natural and it is gluten-free.
- When you apply it to your steak keep in mind that you need to give it a good rub.
5. Maple Chipotle Mashup Rub & Seasoning by Wayward Gourmet – Sweet & Spicy Spice Blend for Ribs, Chicken & Steak
- It gives a very smooth seasoning. All spices and herbs used in it are natural.
- No preservatives, no anti-caking agents. No such ingredients which are harmful to your health.
- It can be used for not only steak but also for chicken, brownies, fries, popcorn, shrimp, hamburgers and even vegetables.
How should I prepare my steak?
Sometimes, a good cut of steak requires no extra seasoning, other than a bit of salt and pepper. But, having eaten steak many a time before, it can be a nice change to experiment with your prep work. Depending on the cut, you might want to tenderize the meat by covering it with plastic wrap and whacking it a few times with a rolling pin.
Breaking up the meat fibers will make for a softer steak. Despite it being such a kingly meal we often eat out in restaurants instead of making them at home. Just to try out different kinds. Anyone can cook a steak, yet everyone does it differently. We all have our own rituals for cooking this simple, but delicious, meat.
Like every dish, steak too has a traditional way of being cooked. A steakhouse seasoning will contain crushed peppercorns and garlic, along with the chef’s favorite combination of spices: cumin, cilantro seeds, paprika, etc. Each chef will have their own take on the seasoning, though peppercorn and garlic are staples. Starting from the base ingredients, a steakhouse seasoning is an exciting way to experiment at home.
The best method for seasoning a steak is to pat it dry with a paper towel and apply the spice rub generously. What the meat holds is the amount needed. Let the steak sit with the rub on at room temperature for 30 minutes. This will allow the flavors to absorb and the meat to rise in temperature.
This is my absolute favorite go-to steak rub. This recipe calls for Herbs de Provence. If you don’t have any on hand, simply use dried thyme, marjoram, rosemary, oregano, or sage, either alone or in some combination to your liking. The real secret here, however, is the allspice with enhances flavors without standing out in any way.
How to make it:
- Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months in a cool, dry place. Use on all cuts of steaks.
- If you watch a lot of cooking shows you might think that Cumin has become an overused spice and you might be right, with the one exception of a great steak. Cumin ground the beef flavor of a steak while helping to produce the perfect crusty surface.
- In a medium skillet, toast cumin seeds for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat. Make sure to move the pan around so that the seeds do not burn. Once the seeds have a deep brown (not charred) color and spice smells fragrant, remove from heat.
- Place toasted cumin into a coffee or spice grinder and grind into a powder. Place into a bowl and add remaining ingredients. Form into a paste. This rub can be stored for 10 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Make this a day ahead before using on steaks to allow the flavors to bloom.
- To use, simply apply 1 to 2 tablespoons of mixture (depending on the size of cut) to steaks. Grill as directed.
- Not only does this beef rub have a fantastic flavor but it is extremely colorful too, giving your steaks a rich color right off the grill.
- Mix together and use on any beef.
- Store in an airtight container and keep in a cool dark place for up to 6 months after preparation.
Montreal Steak Seasoning
How Montreal became the king of spice blends is anyone’s guess, but spice maker McCormick has been selling these blends for years. There are probably hundred of recipes for this seasoning, but they are all based on the same idea. Heat and flavor without all the floral herbs of many old world blends.
How to make it:
Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container. Keep in a cool, dark place for up to six months. Great for all cuts of and sizes of steak.
Simple Steak Seasoning
If you’re looking for a quick and easy steak seasoning, then look no further. Double or even triple the recipe and store seasoning in an airtight container for future cookouts.
How to make it:
- Combine ingredients and place in an airtight container until ready to use. The recipe is enough for 4 to 6 steaks, depending on size. The mixture will stay fresh for up to 1 year if stored properly in a cool, dry place.
- To use, simply remove portion needed with a spoon and apply liberally to steaks. Grill, bake, and broil, of skillet cook as directed.
Tomahawk Steak Rub
A Tomahawk Steak, also to referred to as a cowboy steak, is a very large (30-45 oz) bone-in rib eye. This cut is for the serious steak lover and this rub recipe will make the experience even better.
With a hint of earthy Indian spices, this well-rounded rub will provide a nice crust while bringing out the natural flavors of the meat. Add a steak topper for a truly memorable experience
How to make it:
- Place coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and cardamom pods in a pan over medium meat. Toast until seeds start to brown slightly (about 3-4 minutes).
- Remove spices from heat and place into a spice grinder (or coffee grinder) and pulverize into a powder. Place contents into a bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix together and use. Store rub in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months after initial preparation.
Best seasoning for steak!
Let the experts say what they want, in this case, salt and pepper being the best seasoning for a steak. It is simple and great but it’s not always the best one.
A big part of having a scrumptious steak is to choose the cut correctly and experiment with a variety of spices, herbs, and minerals. For a smoky steakhouse flavor, pack your seasoning with peppercorn and garlic. If you want to try something different on the grill, use groundnut oil to slowly cook the steak, and enjoy an evenly-cooked, delicious piece of beef!
The best thing about these products is that these products can be used for cooking multiple foods. Not just steak but many other food items can be cooked. It will prove beneficial for you in the sense that you do not have to buy different items for different foods. This one product has it all!
Hurry up and buy this product. It will make cooking easier for you with all the natural spices and herbs mixed in it.
Image credits via Flickr creative commons: Sandis
- 6 Best Knife Sharpeners Under $50
- 8 Best Ice Cream Scoops
- 8 Best Pressure Canner for Beginners
- Pickle Eggs Fast: How-to Guide