A kitchen would not be complete without a knife set. There is a lot of chopping, cutting and mincing required in the kitchen and for every unique technique, there’s a knife specifically designed for it. A good chef always has a favorite knife that he uses and its the knife and its quality that makes or breaks a cook. Let’s look at some great options for knife sets under $200.
Best knife set under 200
|Name||Number of Knives||Color of Blade|
|LivingKit Kitchen Knife Block Set||14 pieces||Silver|
|Vremi Colorful Knife Set||5 pieces||Multi color|
|Utopia Kitchen Premium Knife Set||12 pieces||Silver|
|Chef Essential Knife Block Set||7 pieces||Black|
1. LivingKit Kitchen Knife Block Set
- A complete 14 piece package, LivingKit kitchen knife set is great for a cook in search of a one-stop purchase.
- The set includes a chef’s knife, slicing knife, bread knife, utility knife, and a peeling knife. It also has six steak knives, kitchen shears, and a sharpener.
- Storage of the utensils is kept in mind as a rubberwood block is included to keep the blades in optimum condition.
- LivingKit boasts a 30-day money back guarantee and has 24 hours customer service.
Head on over to the product’s page to know more and purchase your set today.
2. Vremi Colorful Knife Set
- This amazing 10 piece knife set comes with 5 knives and 5 knife covers.
- The light-weight knives have a sharp stainless steel blade that is can cut through cheese or meat.
- Colored sheaths and knife handles are all food safe.
- The knife set includes a chef’s knife, butcher knife, utility knife, serrated knife and a pairing knife.
3. Utopia Kitchen Premium Class Knife Set
- A knife set that is beautiful to not only look at but work with, Utopia kitchen knife set has 12 pieces.
- The blades are made from 420-grade stainless steel.
- Knives are built in one single, solid piece so there’s never any fear of the handle breaking or falling off.
- Set includes a lovely acrylic stand that can hold a chef’s knife, utility knife, pairing knife, bread knife, carving knife and 6 steak knives.
4. Chef Essential Knife Block Set
- Chef essential knife set has a unique marble finish 7 piece knives and matching knife block.
- The knives have a high carbon stainless steel blade, proven to be rust and tarnish proof.
- They effortlessly cut through vegetables, fruits, and boneless meat because of their heavy-duty blades.
- Knife set includes a chef’s knife, slicing knife, santoku knife, utility knife and a paring knife
Click below to get yours today!
Best Knife Set-Buyer’s Guide
Components of a Knife
A knife has two key features, its blade, and its handle. There are many variations in the blade and handle that shape the knife to its special form.
The blade of the knife is made up of a variety of materials, each having its advantages and disadvantages. Choosing a knife depends on what it’s being used for and the skill level of the user. Let’s familiarize us with a few materials used in making the blades and what they’re good for.
1. Carbon Steel
Knives made from this material are extremely sharp. The edge remains pointed and the knife can be easily sharpened. Carbon steel knives are susceptible to rust and stain and require prompt cleaning and drying.
2. Stainless Steel
These knives are made up of different metals including iron, chromium, nickel, a fraction of carbon and molybdenum. Stainless steel knives are resistant to corrosion but their edges become blunt quickly.
There are three types of blades: fixed blade, folding blade and sliding blade.
Commonly known as a sheath knife, a fixed blade knife does not fold or slide. It is stronger than the folding and sliding blade because of its lack of moving parts and extension of the blade into the handle.
A folding knife has a blade connected to the handle of the knife with a spring or pivot which lets the blade hide back inside the handle. For the safety of its user, there are a number of safety locks that will keep the blade in place, here are a few.
1. Slip Joint
When a pocket knife is opened, a spring holds the knife in position. The blade can return back to its handle when a certain amount of pressure is applied in the spring.
2. Spine Lock
A latch is fixed to a spring in this spine lock. By disengaging the latch, will the blade go back inside?
3. Button lock
Used mostly in automatic knives, this knife uses a small button to open and close it.
This lock has a side-spring lock that can be opened or released with a single hand.
The sliding blade knife’s blade comes out of the front of the handle. Usually, the blade is pushed out by a spring or a push of a button and is recalled the same way.
Handles of a knife have various sizes, shapes, and textures. The different textures help in gripping the knife firmly.
Below are some of the types of handles and what makes them distinct.
Where wood handles look homely, provide good grip and warmth to its user, it is difficult to maintain. Cleaning it with water will wear the handle’s finishing. There are laminated wood handles for those who want to preserve it.
As wood is a natural tissue from a tree, it absorbs dust, blood, water and can raise hygiene issues in commercial and private kitchens or workplaces.
Plastic handles are light in the hand, easily cleaned but become brittle over time.
Mostly found in hunting or military knives, leather handles are built by stacking leather washers or by being made into a sleeve of a knife.
4. Stainless Steel and Aluminum
Even though these handles are strong, durable and sanitary, they can become slippery. To counter this issue, manufacturers play with various textures, either giving them indentations, bumps or grooves to facilitate gripping.
This fibrous material is a very popular handle material on user knives. It is tough and provides stability. Its texture makes it waterproof and actually increase the grip of the handle when it comes in contact with water.
Types of Knives
A knife is a tool for different purposes. It’s sharp and pointy edge makes it available for many purposes.
A common use of knives is its ability to be a tool in the kitchen. Used for methods like preparing food or dining, let’s name a few that you will be using around the house.
This knife is used for cutting bread. It has a jagged edge that facilitates in the easy slicing of bread.
This knife is used to remove the bones out of fish, meat or poultry.
You might have spotted this one on Thanksgiving. The carving knife is used to shape large cooked meats as ham, poultry or roasts.
A chef’s knife is also known as a French knife and is used for cutting food in the kitchen.
This large, versatile knife resembles a rectangular-bladed hatchet. Commonly used to chop up bones at the butchers or kitchen.
A butcher’s go to knife for cutting, shaping, chopping up meat or bones of animals.
Used in food preparation, this knife is referred to any knife that is used in the kitchen.
A small, sharp-bladed knife that is used to carve or cut out the cores of fruits.
A broad name used for a piece of cutlery, either a steak knife or a butter knife or both which is used as a table setting with forks and spoons.
What to Look for in a Knife Set
A basic kitchen knife set usually includes:
- A chef’s knife
- A pairing knife
- A bread knife
- A carving knife
- A cleaver
Steps to Buy a Good Knife
So you’ve decided to purchase a knife but don’t know how to go about it. Let’s see how we can help.
- Pick up the knife. An important part of buying a knife is getting a feel for it. Check if the shape and texture of the knife are comfortable for you as everyone’s has varied preferences.
- Once you’ve gotten the feel of the handle, it’s time to move to the blade. Check if the there are nicks, joints or weak points in the blade. Choose a knife that has a single piece of the blade as it ensures it will not break.
- For everyday use, choose a lightweight knife that can chop and with speed and precision. A heavier-weighted knife is suited for cutting bones, nut or other hard ingredients.
- Pick a well-balanced knife as it helps in the see-saw chopping motion.
- Buy a good quality knife rather than a popular named brand.
- Be sure to store your knives properly. There are blocks made of plastic, wood, etc. and different sleeves that keep the blade protected.
A cook is incomplete without his knives. The quality of the knife relates directly to the quality of the food. It can make or break a dish being presented. So, it is essential that we invest in a kitchen knife set that is affordable and top quality to make our every day lives easier and comfortable.
Image credits via Flickr creative commons: Jon Davis